What I thought would be yet again another routine visit to the doctor turned into quite the drama. Ironically this was going to be the first visit ever with no ultrasound since all had been going well. I had only expected a test for Gestational Diabetes (which I passed) I mentioned to the doc that I was feeling pressure and cramping like I was exhausted or something at the end of the day. She had me get a quick ultrasound to check cervix length. They discovered my cervix had shortened and was fluctuating during the exam between 2.0 and 2.5 which meant I was contracting. I was sent immediately to the hospital.
Kaul met me at the doctor office and off we went to the hospital. Once hooked up, they discovered that I was contracting regularly and I was admitted to the labor and delivery unit. I was pumped with Magnesium for 24 hours, Endomethycine (sp?) for 48 hours and 2 steriod shots to help the babies. I was not allowed to leave the bed at all. I was only allowed ice chips to eat. The nurse gave me a cherry popsicle after about 24 hours and it was the best thing I ever tasted.
I had to have 3 monitors on me at all times..1 for the contractions and 1 for each baby. Keeping twins on a monitor at all times is not an easy task when they are still small enough to move around a lot! So the nurses kept having to come in and readjust the monitors. Then every time I needed to flip over or move they would lose them again. This meant 48 hours of no sleep, no food and nothing but worry.
No comments:
Post a Comment